Saturday, September 4, 2010

Tadpoles!!!!

I put out a request to my friends to grab tadpoles for me if they saw any. Since we had hard freezes here for days on end, I have not seen ANY frogs around my house. We did find frozen dead frogs around the house this winter so I'm going to guess they didn't survive for the most part. I thought it would be great to have it as a science experiment for my youngest and repopulate the area as well.

We haven't had any tadpoles in two years at least. I think I am more excited about it that the kids. They weren't eating their lettuce so we gave them some of our turtle food and they ate that but it dirtied their tank quickly. I looked online and figured out I needed to freeze or boil the lettuce to soften it. Freezing didn't seem to do enough but they love the boiled lettuce. Yes, I am boiling lettuce 3 or more times a day (in my microwave, takes 2 minutes) for these little buggers. It's worth it because they are fascinating! They demolish the lettuce in minutes, leaving only the veins like a skeleton.


Skeletal remains of lettuce


The little cutie patooties.

So now we are eagerly awaiting legs and at that point, we will probably move them outside and give them a way to climb in and out when they grow arms and are ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment