Monday, November 7, 2011

Gardening part 3

Part 3 of probably many, many, just a warning in advance.

This one was my easiest gardening project yet and I got the idea off Pinterest. The versions there have the shoe organizer hanging off a pole or fence and I don't have either on my patio. I didn't want to anchor it to the screen frame, stucco or risk it ripping apart the soffit, gutter or whatever else that stuff is called around the edge of the roof.

I did have two long boards that were warped and needed to be replaced from the kids' robotics table. Perfect! I stapled the shoe organizer to that down each side. October 10th:


It took me about 15 minutes to paint the boards with some extra paint I had laying around and about 2 minutes to load the staple gun and attach it. I filled the dirt with a cup and planted seeds. Super easy! And I did it in maybe 45 minutes with drying time while my boys played outside.

And now, November 7th, exactly four weeks later. The only difference is that I added a piece of pvc that I had lying around to make the posts stand a little straighter. There is a ton of growth and all I've had to do is water it a handful of times:





I know I won't be able to use it in the summer because it would dry out in a matter of minutes, but lettuce, peas and most other small plants won't grow here during the hot months anyway. It is the perfect winter garden here!

No comments:

Post a Comment